Maximising value from our business
Agile pricing maximises customer capture and income without negatively impacting underwriting profitability
Determines the appropriate technical net rate
Price comparison websites
Sophisticated data capture allows us to refine and optimise our pricing strategies
and risk expertise
Our business model in action
A disciplined and data driven approach to underwriting and agile pricing maximise value through a focused brand and product portfolio and multichannel distribution model.
The strength of the Hastings business model
- A focused set of products
- Sophisticated approach to data and analysis in pricing
- Separation between technical and retail pricing
- Agility in a price comparison way of working
- A capital efficient underwriting model
- Market-leading innovative risk selection and counter-fraud management
- A simple and straightforward systems landscape
- Low cost operating model
- An effective control framework and culture
The Group has chosen to specialise in the very large UK private car insurance market, which accounts for around 85% of live customer policies (‘LCP’). Within this market our primary focus is on digital distribution through price comparison websites (‘PCW’) and direct distribution through our retail brands’ websites. The Group also provides home, bike and van insurance.
The Group operates across the insurance value chain through the Group’s Retail and Underwriting businesses. Clear separation is made between these businesses to ensure the Underwriting entity receives the technical net rate that it quotes and the Retail entity maximises customer capture and income, without negatively impacting Underwriting profitability.